Sunday, February 3, 2013

Navigating Early



Navigating Early 
by Clare Vanderpool
Delacorte Books for Young Readers, January, 2013
review copy (ARC) provided by Cover to Cover Children's Books

Meet thirteen-year-old Jack Baker. He’s normal except for one thing: he is friends with Early Auden. At the beginning, Early seems like a ghost lurking the school. Then, Jack finds out what’s wrong with him and why the rest of the guys think he’s a freak. Early believes that the number Pi goes on, his brother is not dead, and that the great black bear is still stalking the Appalachian Trail. That’s not the weirdest thing though… Early decides to set off for a quest to find Pi. He thinks the story has not ended. Jack (who is sometimes called Jackie) tries to stop him, but it’s no use. In the end, he decides to tag along so he doesn’t feel lonely since everyone had premission to leave the school. The two boys end up on a good road, but there’s always a scratch or two. Not everything always goes right; there are injuries, venemous animals, and crazy people. Luckily, the two boys find what they want; but lose things they need. This book will get you hooked! I recommend it to everyone.

This was an interesting book. It was heart-warming, but funny at times. Clare Vanderpool really explained the book well, I felt like I was walking with Jackie and Early. Navigating Early was really sad by the ending, but still awesome! I really liked how the author put a lot of effort into the characters, Early seemed like a real kid. I also liked how Jackie found his ture self, and who his true friend was. This book kept surprising me. In every page- BOOM! You never knew what was going to happen. Never. I think everyone should read this amazing book. I really liked it, and I think others will, too. --SA

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the great review! Moon Over Manifest is one of my favorites and I have Navigating Early on reserve at the library.

    ReplyDelete